Sunday, September 24, 2006

Flawless Day

Well they were amazing today.

Informal conferences, spontaneous partner reading, attempts to remember and record the titles of every book ever read, caught up-up reading tests, listening center, word study, new center practice, a little problem-solving... They can do things!

They just worked and worked and I got to walk around facilitating. Teacher paradise.

I did round us all up for a couple of lessons during that little academic free-for-all, though. They needed some sort of teaching today! Now all of this did leave us quite off schedule. They figured it out and let me know,

"Teacher, we skipped Writer's Workshop." So before lunch we discussed the afternoon schedule.
"We still have to do art."
"Are we going to skip math?"
"What about the free time we almost earned, can you give us a point? We were good."
"We have to do Writer's Workshop so we can have the publishing party."

"I know but you were all having such a good morning in reading that I didn't want to interrupt you. You're right. Umm, maybe. No, but you were great workers. Yes, you're right."

Sometimes this job is too much fun. So we ended up having read aloud and art all afternoon even though the intention was to also include writing and a book study. I don't feel too guilty because their art improved so much. They do need basic art skills! I'm actually going to look up or find a book on basic art skills for children. I know it barely fits into our plan, but... I just want them to have some art. Art is good. Not tested, but still good. They are behind in it and it will matter someday.

In the morning I'm going to ask them what they think our schedule should look like. Maybe (I hope.) they'll decide that they need to make up the math and writing from today. Either way, they're going to make it up. 'Cause I'm the teacher.

What I'm listening to......"Outta Mind (Outta Sight)/Wilco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home