Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Questions

"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all of the answers."
---James Thurber



I am having a blast on Spring Break: not!! In the state of indiana there is a new rule that says that all new teachers have to do a portfolio documenting the first 2 years of their teaching career. It's basically a new rule that requires me to jump through some more hoops. My guess is that it is punishment for those of us that have gone through a transition to teaching program & did not have undergrads in education. However, everyone has to do it if you graduated after the year 2002. After I am done with this 30 pages of fun, then I will not have to renew my license until 5 years like everyone else. I now have an initial practicioners license until June 20th.
Anyway, enough of the boring logistics. The bottom line is that I wish I could just give them the web address for my blogspot. It would be a lot easier and a hell of a lot more meaningful (if you're asking me) than a formal-looking portfolio. I wish that the portfolio scorers could look at my weblog and see that there is a lot of journaling that I have already done on my own versus a formal "commentary". I am already a reflective practicioner; otherwise I would not have selected this crazy profession to go into!!! hee hee
I just find the whole process interesting in the fact that I am expected to have answers for things that I have not had enough time to question. Two years of teaching is just the tip of a huge iceberg. I know why they want new teachers to reflect, don't get me wrong. However, I am feeling a little too "heady" now to assert that I know answers to some of the things that I am just beginning to question.....It's a process is all I'm saying. An antiquated portfolio will not demonstrate what I have learned in teaching.......but a reflective weblog just might.....hee hee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home