Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Cardigan Queen-old e mails

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is
of you." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Suddenly I have become this person & am not
sure how I got there. I have always kinda been the
nerdy fashion type, I will admit. However, through the
course of this summer I have become engrossed in this
career change & lost a sense of reality, I guess.
It wasn't until the other day that I was getting ready
to go out on that I realized what I had become. I
will admit that I am the "cardigan queen". In fact,
nothing makes me happier than a new sweater set.
Additionally, those who know my closet well enough can
spot the consistencies of every color cardigan known
to man.

I don't think I really realized the implications of my
style & fashion sense until I went out on this date
the other night though. It was the first time in a
long while that I opted to not have my glasses on,
not wear a bun, & to try to show some cleavage.
However, it was like I almost forgot to fix my hair.
Where had cool, hip Starr gone? I used to be on top of
my game, ya know?

I don't think the whole thing really hit home though
until the other day when Jen told me in the nicest
voice that she had a surprise for me. A surprise? I
love surprises!!!! What ever could it be? Jen, who has
been concerned for my fashion well-being for
years--(and always my biggest cheerleader besides my
mom to wear clothes that have sex appeal, I might add)
explained to me that she had actually took the time to
write Oprah & sent a letter for me to have a "friend
makeover". Don't get me wrong--Jen is a member of my
family whom only has my best interest at heart. In
fact, I think that this guesture is just about as
sweet as one can get. Additonally, were it not for her
I wouldn't realize that scrunchies are soooo 90's, the
more cleavage the better, & those clunky tall shoes
that I got from Payless 4 years ago aren't cool
anymore. Whats even funnier is the fact that we had
gone as far as joking earlier in the year that we
could be potential candidates to write to that show
"What not to wear" when they were making fun of that
girl for her hoody and Old Navy addiction. However, I
didn't think one of us would actually follow through
the actual sending of a letter...........

One of the best things about being in my 30's is the
fact that I am experiencing an inner peace that I
haven't experienced thus far; a feeling of being
completely comfortable in my own skin.
While I will always probably be a cardigan queen, I
cannot forget to let my hair down every once in
awhile................and show some cleavage
sometimes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home